Blog post 16. September 2021 - My favorite quotes

My favorite quotes

"Courage is effective action in the face of fear." - Kent Beck

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

"Content is king!" - Unknown

"Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan." - Warren Zevon

"Hi my name is George, I’m unemployed and I live with my parents." - George Costanza

"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." - William of Ockham

"Ordinary life is pretty complex stuff." - Harvey Pekar

"Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

"Ten years ago, on a cold dark night
Someone was killed, 'neath the town hall light
There were few at the scene, but they all agreed
That the slayer who ran, looked a lot like me."
- Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkin

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed." - Mahatma Gandhi

"I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" - French guard

"You know, when we're apart we're just a bunch of social misfits, but when we're together, well, that's something very special." - Templeton 'Faceman' Peck

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

"That's your opinion, Christopher..."
"Well that's a rather clever thing to say, isn't it. Would you prefer I utter your opinion?"
- Christopher Hitchens

My least favorite quote is: "Great minds think alike."

According to http://www.phrases.org.uk the earliest version of the expression was written by Dabridgcourt Belchier in Hans Beer-Pot, 1618:

"Though he made that verse, Those words were made before. Good wits doe jumpe."

An early example written in the modern style can be found in Carl Theodor von Unlanski's biography The woful history of the unfortunate Eudoxia, 1816: 

"It may occur that an editor has already printed something on the identical subject - great minds think alike, you know."

I'll let Thomas Paine tell you why I don't like it:

"I do not believe that any two men, on what are called doctrinal points, think alike who think at all. It is only those who have not thought that appear to agree."

Kommentarer